Older, Wiser, Happier Support Group Meeting
1:00 P.M. Mountain Time
2nd & 4th Thursdays, South Lawn of First United Methodist Church of Loveland
533 North Grant Avenue, Loveland, CO
Seek and you shall find; knock and it will be opened to you. (Jesus, The Bible, Matthew 7:7)
Everything builds. Increment upon increment. There’s no proof in mathematics that can’t be broken down into steps basic enough for a child of reasoning age to follow. The trick is accumulating the steps, each one so trivial that it can be comprehended by the crippled thing we call the mind. Concentration, if you will. This is all we have. Desire creates the concentration. (Canin, Ethan. A Doubter’s Almanac, Random House Publishing Group, pg. 499)
Truth can sometimes be vague. It is like watching dancers from a distance too great to hear the music, yet seeing their joyous synchronicity, knowing that something must be binding them together and energizing them. The full experience comes after the journey forward.
The highly unconstrained travel between points of view is hard work and can be risky. Not just because it can take you off well-worn established paths, but because it provokes questions that one is not invited to ask. Such questions make everyone uncomfortable, not least because they don’t easily lend themselves to prepared answers. But in the intersections between proclaimed certainties, real insight can be gleaned. (Margaret Heffernan, Willful Blindness, Walker & Company, pg. 209)
Thought-Starters for Sharing
- What important understanding have you gained since you were sixty years old?
- What institutional certainties have you gradually questioned?
- When has accepted wisdom of an organization/company/culture/neighborhood seemed flawed?
- What kind of resistance have you experienced when your thinking hasn’t matched accepted wisdom?
- What have you done to extend your knowledge about an issue or question?
- Who has encouraged you to think outside the boundaries of accepted wisdom?
- In what ways are you wiser now than you were several years ago?